Generally speaking, IRPA requires permanent residents to be physically in Canada for at least 730 days out of every five years.  If you are outside of Canada and a visa office finds that you have not met this residency obligation, you may lose your permanent resident status.  You may appeal that decision to the IAD.  You must appeal no later than 60 days after receiving the decision letter.

In some cases, you may be able to get a travel document to let you enter Canada for the hearing. If you are not in Canada for the hearing, the hearing may be held by telephone.

If the appeal is allowed, you will be able to keep your permanent resident status.  If the appeal is dismissed, you will lose your permanent resident status.  If you are in Canada, the IAD will order your removal from Canada.

Please contact us directly for more information.

Apply Now

Free Online Assessment

Fill out our free online assessment form, we will assess your eligibility based on more than 60 different Canadian immigration programs and send you the result within 24 hours!

Apply Now